Imlay City Fire Hall
338 East Third Street
Imlay City, MI 48444
(Mailing address: 150 N Main St., Imlay City, MI 48444)
Rick Horton, Assistant Fire Chief
Emergency Number: 911
Non-Emergency: (888) 239-6714 or (810) 667-0292
In 1876, the first Imlay fire department was organized and serviced by 50 volunteers, and a frame one-story building was built with a jail in the rear. The first fireman to arrive with his horse at the fire station was the one paid. His horse was used to pull the hose cart.
In 1970 the Village of Imlay City became a City and the fire department became the City of Imlay City Fire Department (ICFD). At that time, and for many years afterward, ICFD provided fire protection to Goodland Township, Imlay Township, and the City of Imlay City. During the late 1980's, Goodland Township formed their own FD and in the 1990's, ICFD began providing fire protection to Imlay Township on a contract basis.
Currently Class 7 fire protection is provided to the City and Imlay Township by 25 paid per call highly trained firefighters consisting of 20 firefighters, a Chief, Assistant Chief, Captain and two Lieutenants. The department has a pumping capacity of 4,000 gallons per minute, and more than 11,000 gallons of water for immediate use. Apparatus consists of two engines, an 85' aerial platform with pump, two tankers, one grass rig, a rescue truck, a utility pick up truck. The men and women of the department are dedicated to the welfare of the community and participate in numerous activities promoting fire safety and other community services. ICFD is a member of a mutual aid pact that gives and receives automatic and requested mutual aid to the surrounding communities in times of emergencies. ICFD is a member of the Lapeer County Fire Association and the Michigan State Fire Association.
Dispatching of fire calls are handled through Lapeer County E-911 central dispatch.
Click Here to go to ICFD Fire Photos